Dogen Sangha Blog

  by Gudo NISHIJIMA

Japanese / German

Wednesday, January 4, 2006

The Four Philosophies (1) Philosophies of Pain, Accumulation, Self-Regulation, and Morals

I have explained before that Gautama Buddha's Teachings are fundamentally based on the Realism that the Truth of the Universe is the fusion between our real act at the present moment and the real existence of the Universe at the present moment. This is the fundamental basis of Gautama Buddha's Teachings, but at the same time Gautama Buddha taught us four very important Buddhist Principles. They are (1) The Four Philosophies, (2) The Rule of Cause and Effect, (3) The Instataneousness of the Universe, and (4) The Real Existence of Morals.
Among the various Teachings of Gautama Buddha, one of the most important is the Principle of the Four Philosophies. The Four Philosophies are (1) the Philosophy of Pain (duhkha satya), (2) the Philosophy of Accumulation (samdaya satya), (3) the Philosophy of Self-Regulation (niroda satya), and (4) the Philosophy of Morals (margha satya). The Teaching of Gautama Buddha were not put in writing for at least 100 years afer his death. Thus, concerning the Four Philosophies there came to be vulgar interpretations in the Age of Hinayana Buddhism. Such vulgar interpretations have been written in the Hinayana Buddhist Sutras (the Agama Sutra being one example).These sutras present the Four Philosophies of Gautama Buddha as (1) the philosophy of pain, suggesting that the world is painful without exception, (2) The cause of pain is simply desire, (3)
if we stop desiring, (4) A happy life will come. Upon reading such interpretations, I found that I could never accept such rough explanations. First of all, I wondered whether this world is always painful or not. I thought that the world is sometimes painful, but sometimes the world is not so unhappy. Since life and the world are not always painful, the second theme could not be always true. As for the third theme, I doubted whether it is possible for us to stop desire and with the fourth theme, I wondered Four Philosophy, after about a hundred year later than Gautama Buddha's death, there was a valgar interpretations in the Age of Hinayana Buddhism, and such a valgar interpretations have been written in the Hynayana Buddhist Sutras. And they say that (1) the philosophy of pain suggests that the world is painful without exception. (2) The cause of pain is just desire. (3) If we stop desire, (4) A happy life will come. But reading those interpretations, I could never accept such a ruff explanations. First of all I wondered whether this world was always so painful, or not. I thought that the world is sometimes painfl, but some times the world is not so unhappy. And so the second theme was not always true. And the (3) theem made me doubtfull whether it is possible for us to stop desire, and so in the (4) I wonder whether it was so easy for us to establish morals. Because of these situations I could never comfirm the interpretations, which was used in the Age of Hinatana Buddhism. But when I have begun reading the Shobogenzo, an excellent collection of Buddhist Books written in the 12th century by a Japanese Buddhist monk named Master Eihei Dogen, I found a very excellent Chapter titled, "Genjo Ko-an." In the 75 voluems edition, "Genjo Ko-an" it was placed at the beginning of all the Chapters. In the 95 volumes edition, it was placed as the 3rd of all the Chapters. Such placement of "Genjo Ko-an" in both editions of the Shobogenzo suggests this Chapter's great importance as a introductory chapter among the rest of the Chapters. I would like to explain the meanjng of the Chapter "Genjo Ko-an" in the next blog.

17 Comments:

Blogger Mike Cross said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:58 PM, January 04, 2006  
Blogger Matt said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:43 AM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Mike Cross said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

5:07 AM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Mike Cross said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:19 AM, January 05, 2006  
Blogger Shonin said...

I think this 'flame war' is detracting from the content of Gudo Nishijima's blog. Mr Cross is entitled to express his opinion, but now it seems he is just being obstructive and using the blog as a forum for promoting Alexander Technique.

It's a shame because I and many others are clearly enjoying the blog.

May I suggest that Gudo Nishijima considers Comment Moderation if this continues?

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=1220

2:48 AM, January 06, 2006  
Blogger dharmacloud said...

Master Nishijima,
I have studied Buddhism for many years, but reading your work here and in other articles by you (on the Dogen Sangha web sites), I feel like a new understanding of buddhadharma is dawning. If I understand you correctly, you teach that Buddhism is the way of action. So, as far as I understand, the truth of the path (marga) is the truth of complete action, or action of the whole being, as the way out of suffering and delusion. And zazen exemplifies such action.
Now that I have heard from you Buddhism described as a way of action, exemplified by zazen, it seems obvious and clear. My other teachers taught me that samyak, the word used usually translated as "right" with respect to the path, as in right action, right meditation, etc., means "complete." This seems, to me,to support your teaching.
Before reading you, I think I still viewed Buddhadharma as mainly a matter of training the mind, rather than as a way of action. In that way, I think my understanding of it fell into idealism. You have opened up a new understanding to me. This has affected not just my intellectual understanding, but also my meditation.
Thank you.
I am looking forward to reading your teaching on the Genjokoan.

4:28 AM, January 06, 2006  
Blogger Jules said...

Dharmacloud:
In regard to right action and complete action, I'm starting to think these are never motivated by desire or aversion. Complete action by definition is motivated by something greater than the incomplete ego. Opinions, likes, dislikes, and wants just aren't important considerations. It's just mindfully "doing what needs to be done" (quoting Brad Warner). There's no choice, no picking and choosing what to do. Just see right action and "just do it" completely (quoting Nike corporate marketing).

Seems to me somewhere I saw a definition of karma which was more than just 'action'. This person defined karma as ego-motivated action, action which comes from desire or aversion. This was their explanation for why Buddhas are free of karma. Buddhas' actions are motivated from completeness and are engaged in completely. They don't act based on their likes or their dislikes.

That's my understanding, at least...?

8:19 AM, January 06, 2006  
Blogger Lone Wolf said...

Gudo Nishijima Roshi. I read everyone of your blogs. I don't always respond because there is really nothing to add and it is so clear I usually have no questions come to me. I really think its amazing to be recieve these teachings about the buddhist thought online from you. I just wanted to share my gratitude for your effort.

2:09 PM, January 06, 2006  
Blogger Shonin said...

Thank you for that story Jundo Jim

10:02 PM, January 06, 2006  
Blogger oxeye said...

thank you again for your blog. all very interesting. I see that your version of Master Dogen's Shobogenzo, Book 2 is still available for purchase online. is there any chance that book 1 will be re-issued?

11:00 PM, January 06, 2006  
Blogger Siren said...

Thank you for keeping this blog and sharing your experience, it is much appreciated-
Misha

1:34 AM, January 07, 2006  
Blogger Taigu said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:42 AM, January 07, 2006  
Blogger oxeye said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

3:58 AM, January 07, 2006  
Blogger Jules said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:34 AM, January 07, 2006  
Blogger Shonin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:37 AM, January 07, 2006  
Blogger Shonin said...

What happened to Right Speech ?

4:39 AM, January 07, 2006  
Blogger GUDO NISHIJIMA said...

For Virtual Ain't Reality San

Unfortunately Mike Cross San erased his comment, and so it is impossible for me to get the theme of your discussion.


For Jutin San

Thank you very much for your kind care for me, at the same time I do not bother philosophical discussions, because they are sometimes useful for getting the Truth.


For Dan San

I think that many people have the same idea as yours.

I agree with you and Brad, too.


For dharmacloud San

Thank you very much for your clear understanding Buddhism, and I agree with your opinion.

I think that the first paragraph of "Genjokoan" is the most clear explanation of the Four Noble Thruth in Ancient India.


For Jules San

I wonder whether Buddhism has such an idealistic view in it, or not.


For Lone Wolf San

Thank you very much for your agreement with my Buddhist interpretation.


For Jundo Jim San

Thank you very much for your beautiful and wider scale planning.


For Blue WolfNine San

Thank you very much for you reading my blog.


For oxeye San

One of my Dharma Heir, called Ven. Peter Rocca produced Book 2., and 3. with the method of POD. And on the Book 1., the former president of Windbell Publications,
Mr Michael Luetchford, is still selling the left volumes of book 1. Therefore if you ask to Amazon Co., I think that you will get the informations book 1,2, and 3.
from Amazon.


For Siren San

Thank you very much for your reading my blog.


For Justin San

I think that the Universe is always talking us Right Speach constantly.


For Virtual Ain't Reality San

Thank you very much for you to read my blog.


For Adrian San

I think that the Universe is always speaking the Four Noble Truth actually, and so it is possible for everyone to notice it, for example, when he, or she, is practicing Zazen.

12:16 PM, May 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home