Dogen Sangha Blog

  by Gudo NISHIJIMA

Japanese / German

Monday, November 26, 2007

Rakusu - Chodai Kesa no Ge

Dear Nishijima roshi,

Since I began reading your blog I was deeply impressed about your enthusiasm spreading real buddhism all over the world. Your translation of Dogen's Shôbôgenzô has high value to me and opened up a new world to experience. I hope that Vol. IV will be released in German language soon.
Some time ago you mentioned that you would recommend not only to recite the poem "Chodai Kesa no Ge" but actually to wear it too. Herewith I like to inform you and all readers that there is a Rakusu-Instruction available in German language on my homepage www.zendo-frankfurt.de now.

And further there will be a great chance to deepen the teachings of Master Dogen here in Frankfurt. Yudo J. Seggelke sensei will lecture and discuss special selected chapters of the Shôbôgenzô starting February 2008.

Again I like to express my gratidude for your great engagement answering all the arising questions on the blog and remain with best wishes for your health.

Your's sincerely
Regina Oberndorfer

4 Comments:

Blogger Isahito said...

dear Nishijima Roshi,

Would you give me some instructions how to wear khasaya in soto Zen sect?

are there many style of wearing khasaya?

How large of fabric do I need to make my Khasaya?

Thanks for your instruction...

Isahito

4:01 PM, November 26, 2007  
Blogger GUDO NISHIJIMA said...

Dear Isahito San

Thank you very much for your questions, and my answers are as follows.

(Isahito San) Would you give me some instructions how to wear khasaya in soto Zen sect?

(Gudo) In Soto Sect there are two kinds of Kashaya exist. The one is a common Kashaya, which are usually sold at the shop of kashaya, and the other is called "Nyoho-e", which Master Kodo Sawaki researched and taught us.
In a case of the common Kashaya,
1) Keeping the kashaya at the longer side with both hands, and turn around it over the shoulders to cover the back with kashaya.
2) Then the upper side of edge should be folded to the outside of kashaya.
3) The two strings of outside and inside should be bound, and the knot should be concealed inside the cloth.
4) The cloth of right edge covers the left arm, and the cloth of left edge, which hangs down in font of the body, should be spread a little to the right side, and turn it to the left to cover the knot of the strings by putting the upper edge of cloth inside the strings.
5) The hights of the skirts left and right should be equal.

And I hope that many members will look at the photos, which I showed the concret situations in the March this year (2007).

(Isahito San) are there many style of wearing khasaya?

(Gudo) In the former time there were many kinds of waering kashaya, but nowadays they are almost identified into
one.

(Isahito San) How large of fabric do I need to make my Khasaya?

(Gudo) The width and length are decided by your height.

Gudo Wafu Nishijima


Thanks for your instruction...

Isahito

8:56 PM, November 27, 2007  
Blogger Isahito said...

Thanks a lot for your instruction Roshi....

from now, I'll Practice Zazen everyday.

Thank you...

2:15 AM, November 28, 2007  
Blogger GUDO NISHIJIMA said...

Dear Ven Regina Oberndorfer,

Thank you for your valuable informations.

Gudo Wafu Nishijima

12:45 PM, November 28, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home